Viruses can cause serious damage to your computer and compromise your personal information. Here are some tips to help you prevent viruses from infecting your computer in the first place:
- Use an anti-malware app: Installing an anti-malware app and keeping it up to date can help defend your PC against viruses and other malware (malicious software). Microsoft Defender is a free anti-malware software included with Windows, and it’s kept updated automatically through Windows Update.
- Don’t open email messages from unfamiliar senders or email attachments that you don’t recognize: Many viruses are attached to email messages and will spread as soon as you open the attachment. It’s best not to open any attachment unless it’s something you’re expecting.
- Use a pop-up blocker with your internet browser: Pop-up windows can contain malicious or unsafe code. A pop-up blocker can prevent some or all of these windows from appearing.
- Keep Windows updated: Periodically, Microsoft releases special security updates that can help protect your PC. These updates can help prevent viruses and other malware attacks by closing possible security holes.
- Use your internet browser’s privacy settings: Some websites might try to use your personal info for targeted advertising, fraud, and identity theft. All modern browsers have privacy settings that you can enable to control what sites can see or do.
By following these tips, you can help protect your computer from viruses and keep your personal information safe.